During the years of running our guest house 'Poppy Cottage Guest House', Steve's 'Hearty' breakfast earned a reputation as being 'Excellent' and we believe this was partly due to the local produce we used. Our sausage and bacon always came from an award winning butcher in Skipton 'Drake &Macefield' and our bread supplied from bakers of Skipton 'Walkers'. Our local village store supply all of these items along with fresh farm eggs. The shop is just a short walk from the cottages and is open from 7.30am to 10.00pm 7 days a week.
And knowing just how important breakfast is, we like to make sure that there are some basic breakfast essentials in your cottage, with a selection of cereals, cornflakes, branflakes and granola, all kept fresh in Kilner glass storage jars. We also ensure that there is plenty of Yorkshire teabags, coffee and sugar in your kitchen along with a jug of fresh semi-skimmed milk in your fridge, for that all important cuppa on arrival.
If you don't fancy cooking breakfast yourself then you could pop along to the new village cafe 'Carleton Coffee shop' just 5 mins walk away, where they serve breakfasts, coffee, teas, cakes and scones, open from 8.30am until lunchtime. Take a look at the website for the latest news Carleton Coffee Shop
. Or just a short drive away is Keelham Farm shop which serves a hearty breakfast from 8pm.
- Our friendly village pub the Swan Inn serves food Monday - Thursday 5.30pm - 8.30pm and Friday, Saturday &Sunday from 12.00pm. Take a look at their website https://www.swaninncarleton.co.uk/ for up-to-date menus. From the cottages, it is just a 2-minute walk away, they now do a takeaway menu too.
- Or just a short drive away you will find The Bull at Broughton www.thebullatbroughton.co.uk or The Tempest Arms at Elslack www.tempestarms.co.uk Both of these places are approx 3 miles away and come highly recommended for special occasions. Bookings may be required for these places.
- Skipton is just a 5-minute drive away, where you will find some very fine eating establishments. Or on a lovely evening, wander across the fields into town and if you don't feel up to the walk back, then taxis run into the village and generally cost around £5.
- If you fancy eating in then all of the local takeaway restaurants deliver into the village from Skipton.
- There are a supply of menus in your welcome book, for all the restaurants and takeaways in the local area.